Monday, January 12, 2015

Candaba Bird watching



I have always wanted to visit the wetlands of Candaba in Pampanga which is famous for migratory birds from the months of November to February. So when my bestie asked if I wanted to tag along with her to take pictures while she covered a feature story on migratory birds I immediately jumped at the opportunity. 


We met up at 4:30 am at the North Luzon expressway and from there it took us about an hour or so to reach this delightful bird sanctuary. The sun was just beginning to rise and the majestic Mt. Arayat from afar made a wonderful backdrop to the Candaba swamplands.



There were Herons and countless Philippine mallard or wild ducks everywhere. There were many other sightings of rare and beautiful birds. One had to be careful not to disturb their habitat and we were advised not to wear bright colored clothing. The birding enthusiasts in our group brought “mega” lenses that I would only see at the Olympic coverages. My 300mm camera lens was not enough to get up close and personal with the birds. But I managed to capture a few shots.





These migratory birds stay until February so If you want to visit Candaba you still have a few weeks to do so. Don't forget to bring your binoculars!




No comments: