Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Well it's about time!

Augusta National (photo by ctpost.com)

After 80 long years, Augusta National removes its discrimination against women by accepting 
two ladies into their exclusive men's club. Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice 
and business executive Darla Moore will soon be wearing the famous Augusta Green Jackets 
when the club opens this fall. Read the full story here.
Well, isn't it about time this happened? Or should I say, isn't this long overdue? There is the 
saying that GOLF is an acronym that means "Gentlemen Only Ladies forbidden". While this is 
not true, there have been times when it did feel like this for some women golfers.

I remember not so very long ago.... a client of mine had just relocated from Amsterdam to Manila. He invited me to play at Manila Golf on a Wednesday. It was late in the morning and we had just finished a few holes when a representative of the club came to pick me up and politely told me 
that i could no longer play and finish my round of golf. When we asked why, the club representative said that women were not allowed to play after a certain hour at Manila Golf. My client turned red and was so embarrassed while I was just speechless....The rules have changed since then but to this day I will never forget how I was whisked away, brought to the ladies locker and not able to finish my round simply because I was a woman.

For women golfers, the acceptance of both Rice and Moore at Augusta national is reason to celebrate. But at the end of the day, regardless of sex, it is the passion for the game of golf that really matters.



1 comment:

robert said...

Thanks for the tutorial, very interesting


Las Vegas Golfing